A Celebration of Black Music II
About this event
»I know why the caged bird sings« – it sings of freedom in order not to lose hope. It sings in order to feel the life beyond the bars of its cage. To encourage itself and others. And this is how American composers and authors with African roots sing and write to this day: their subject matter is discrimination and injustice, pride and dignity – but love and separation as well, mourning and joy, belief and hope.
In the second part of »A Celebration of Black Music«, several generations of these artists have their say: from Florence Price and William Grant Still to Tyshawn Sorey and B. E. Boykin. The concert presents a panorama of »Black music« in its countless and fascinating facets.
In collaboration with the Hampsong Foundation.
Supported by the Kühne Foundation, the Hamburg Ministry of Culture and Media, Stiftung Elbphilharmonie and the Förderkreis Internationales Musikfest Hamburg.
This stream is available to watch until June 4, 2022.
1. Concert – approx. 90 min programme
1. Henry Thacker Burleigh: Passionale (selection)
Ethiopia Saluting the Colors
2. Florence B. Price: Sympathy
Hold Fast to Dreams
Song to the Dark Virgin
3. Samuel Coleridge-Taylor: Oh What Comes Over the Sea, Op. 57/1
She Sat and Sang Always, Op. 57/4
Life and Death
4. William Grant Still: Songs of Separation
Song for the Lonely
5. David Baker: Deliver My Soul / from: Through This Vale of Tears
6. Adolphus Hailstork: Songs of Love and Justice (selection)
7. Robert Owens: Three Songs for baritone and piano, Op. 41
8. Anthony R. Green: Three Quotes of Shakespeare
Sojourner Truth / from: ...All That Is Good…
9. Peter Ashbourne: Liza / from: Five Songs for soprano and piano
10. Shawn Okpebholo: Oh, Freedom
11. Rosephanye Powell: I Want to Die While You Love Me
A Winter Twilight
12. Valerie Capers: Song of the Seasons (selection)
13. B. E. Boykin: Three Maya Angelou Songs
14. Jasmine Barnes: Flowers / from: Songs for the African Violet
15. Tyshawn Sorey: Inhale, Exhale / from: Cycles of My Being
This performance was filmed at the Elbphilharmonie, Hamburg, Germany.
This event was recorded live at Elbphilharmonie, Hamburg, Germany.
This event is no longer available