Courtney’s Stars of Tomorrow: Feel the Spirit Concert II
About this event
Feel the Spirit is a series dedicated to the study, preservation, and performance of the Negro Spiritual.
The second concert of this two-part concert series features mezzo-soprano Lucia Bradford and tenor Edwin Cotton. Lucia Bradford, who has been praised by 'Opera News' for her "rich, burnished tone and fearsome low notes," will sing traditional spiritual arrangements by Lena McLin and J. Rosamond Johnson, as well as an original setting entitled 'Lord, I’ll Go', by Jacqueline Hairston. Bradford will share the evening with tenor Edwin Cotton who rounds out the program with arrangements by the "father of the Concert Spiritual" H.T. Burleigh, as well as spirituals by William Grant Still and Wendell Whalum.
Courtney's Stars of Tomorrow is an arts conduit committed to promoting and presenting classical musicians of the highest calibre and is a vehicle to feature them in concert, recital, and opera. Additionally, Courtney's Stars of Tomorrow targets a multi-generational, ethnically diverse audience of both classical music lovers and those who have never been exposed to the medium.
This concert is presented as part of the Arts@Future series in the IDAGIO Global Concert Hall, curated by the Hampsong Foundation. Feel the Spirit is made possible with public funds from Creative Engagement and UMEZ and administered by LMCC. Further support is provided by Columbia Community Service.
Lucia Bradford, mezzo-soprano
Edwin Cotton, tenor
James Davis, Jr. piano
Courtney Carey, host
1. Concert – approx. 60 min programme
1. O, de Angels Done Bowed Down - arr. by Lena McLin
2. Here’s One - arr. by William Grant Still
3. There’s a Man Going Roun’ Taking Names - Traditional Spiritual
4. I’m Troubled in Mind - arr. by J. Rosamond Johnson
5. Go Down Moses - arr. by H.T. Burleigh
6. Wade in the Water - arr. by H.T. Burleigh
7. Lord, I’ll Go - arr. by Jacqueline Hairston
8. God is a God - arr. by Wendell P. Whalum
9. I Got to Lie Down - arr. by Hall Johnson
10. Soon- ah Will Be Done - traditional spiritual
11. Steal Away - Traditional Spiritual
12. Ride the Chariot - arr. by Betty Jackson King
13. I Don’t Feel Noways Tired - arr. by Jacqueline Hairston
14. The Battle of Jericho - arr. by Margaret Bonds
This concert was recorded at 5th House in Williamsburg, NY.
Stream available to watch until Dec. 31, 2023.
This event was recorded live at 5th House in Williamsburg, NY, USA.
Available until Tue, Dec 31, 2024
After you have purchased access to the content, we will provide the above mentioned provider with your name and email address which have been stored with your user account for the purpose of processing of the agreement. The provider may use your email address to inform you about similar goods and services from time to time. You have the right to object to such use at any time e.g. by sending an email to the above email address of the provider, free of cost.