Global Concert Hall
New World Symphony – Berlioz’s Harold in Italy Reimagined
You need a free IDAGIO account to purchase a ticket
The New World Symphony and its Artistic Director and Co-Founder Michael Tilson Thomas present a reimagined Harold in Italy. Grammy Award-winning composer Steven Mackey’s take on Hector Berlioz’s beloved concerto-symphony hybrid depicts its protagonist, drawn loosely from a poem by Lord Byron, in a new light, elaborating on Berlioz’s colourful themes and adding a new cadenza. Acclaimed violist Tabea Zimmermann is the soloist in this performance filmed in October 2019 as part of the New World Symphony's Viola Visions festival. The performance marked the world premiere of the NWS commission.
1. Introduction by Michael Tilson Thomas, Tabea Zimmerman and Steven Mackey
2. Concert – approx. 50 minutes
3. Virtual Green Room – Following the performance, there will be a Q&A session and discussion with the artists.
Hector Berlioz/Steven Mackey: Harold in Italy (1834/2019; world premiere of NWS commission)
I. Harold in the Mountains. Scenes of Melancholy, Happiness and Joy (Adagio – Allegro)
II. March of the Pilgrims Singing the Evening Prayer (Allegretto)
III. Serenade of an Abruzzi Mountain-Dweller to his Mistress (Allegro assai-Allegretto)
IV. Orgy of Brigands. Memories of Scenes Past (Allegro frenetico – Adagio)
This performance was sponsored in part by Art Mentor Foundation Lucerne; NWS’s Fund for New Ventures supported by The Clinton Family Fund | Bruce and Martha Clinton, Kleh Family Foundation | Mr. and Mrs. Bill Kleh, and Helena Rubinstein Philanthropic Fund at the Miami Foundation | Diane and Robert Moss; Knight Foundation and New World Symphony: Reimagining Classical Music in the Digital Age; Carnival Corporation & PLC; Yamaha; with the support of the Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners; City of Miami Beach, Cultural Affairs Program, Cultural Arts Council; and The Agatston Center.
Stay in the Loop
Be the first to know about our upcoming events on IDAGIO
- WatchFred Plotkin on Fridays: Enrico StinchelliJuly 31, 2020
- WatchBach Cello Suites - 3rd Suite, Sarabande: The power of the hemiola. Featuring Alexis KossenkoJuly 31, 2020
- WatchThursdays with Thomas: Ryan Speedo GreenJuly 30, 2020
- WatchClassical (R)evolution with Rachel: Marc-André HamelinJuly 29, 2020