Women on the Podium
Why are female conductors still quite a rarity? Women have stepped into this male-dominated sphere for many decades now. A playlist curated by Corina Kolbe.Read more…
- Bruckner • Symphony No. 5 in B flat major WAB 105 • I. Introduktion. Adagio - AllegroSymphony No. 5 in B flat major WAB 105
I. Introduktion. Adagio - AllegroSimone Young, Philharmonisches Staatsorchester Hamburg2015, Hamburg, Laeiszhalle
- Prokofiev • Scythian Suite op. 20 (1915) 'Ala and Lolly' • 4. Pokhod Lolliia i shestvie Solntsa (Lolly's Departure and the Cortège of the Sun). TempestosoScythian Suite op. 20 (1915) 'Ala and Lolly'
4. Pokhod Lolliia i shestvie Solntsa (Lolly's Departure and the Cortège of the Sun). TempestosoMarin Alsop, Orquestra Sinfônica do Estado de São PauloMarch 2014, São Paulo, Sala São Paulo
- Haydn • Mass in B flat major Hob. XXII:13 “Schöpfungsmesse” • Kyrie • Kyrie eleison – Christe eleison – Kyrie eleisonMass in B flat major Hob. XXII:13
Kyrie • Kyrie eleison – Christe eleison – Kyrie eleisonNacole Palmer (Soprano), Nina Faia (Soprano), Kirsten Sollek (Alto), Daniel Mutlu (Tenor), Matthew Hensrud (Tenor), Andrew Nolen (Bass), Jane Glover
REBEL, Trinity Church Choir New YorkSeptember 2008, New York City, Trinity Church Manhattan, NYC
- Strauss • Suite from the Opera 'Der Rosenkavalier' for Orchestra op. 59 TrV 227dSuite from the Opera 'Der Rosenkavalier' for Orchestra op. 59 TrV 227dJoAnn Falletta, Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra2008, Buffalo, Kleinhans Concert Hall, Buffalo
- Mendelssohn Bartholdy • Symphony for String Orchestra No. 2 in D major MWV N 2 • I. AllegroSymphony for String Orchestra No. 2 in D major MWV N 2
I. AllegroMichi Gaigg, L'Orfeo BarockorchesterJune 2014, Zell an der Pram, Schloss Zell an der Pram
- Henze • To an Aeolian Harp for Guitar and Instrumental Ensemble (1986) • 1. An eine Äolsharfe (To an Aeolian Harp)To an Aeolian Harp for Guitar and Instrumental Ensemble (1986)
1. An eine Äolsharfe (To an Aeolian Harp)Franz Halász (Guitar), Konstantia Gourzi
Ensemble OktopusNovember 2004, München, Grosser Saal Musikhochschule München
- Mozart • Concert Aria 'Per pietà, non ricercate' KV 420 • Per pietà, non ricercateConcert Aria 'Per pietà, non ricercate' KV 420
Per pietà, non ricercateChristoph Prégardien (Tenor), Michi Gaigg
L'Orfeo BarockorchesterApril 2001, Karlsruhe, SWR-Studio
- Mahler • Rückert-Lieder (Version for Voice and Orchestra) • Ich atmet' einen linden DuftRückert-Lieder (Version for Voice and Orchestra)
Ich atmet' einen linden DuftKatarina Karnéus (Mezzo-soprano), Susanna Mälkki
Göteborgs Symfoniker2010, Gothenburg, Gothenburg Concert Hall
- Ginastera • Variaciones Concertantes for Orchestra op. 23 (1953) • 11. Recapitulation of the Theme for Double Bass and HarpVariaciones Concertantes for Orchestra op. 23 (1953)
11. Recapitulation of the Theme for Double Bass and HarpGisele Ben-Dor, Israel Chamber OrchestraJuly 1994, Tel-Aviv, The Mann Auditorium
- Schumann • Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in A minor op. 7 • I. Allegro maestosoConcerto for Piano and Orchestra in A minor op. 7
I. Allegro maestosoRagna Schirmer (Piano), Ariane Matiakh
Staatskapelle Halle℗ 2017
- Abels • Delights and Dances, for String Orchestra (2007) • Delights and DancesDelights and Dances, for String Orchestra (2007)
Delights and DancesIlmar Gavilán (Violin), Melissa White (Violin), Jaime Amador (Viola), Felix Umansky (Violoncello), Mei-Ann Chen
Chicago Sinfonietta, Harlem Quartet℗ 2013
- Wagner • Götterdämmerung WWV 86D • Act III • 8. Starke Scheite schichtet mir dortGötterdämmerung WWV 86D
Act III • 8. Starke Scheite schichtet mir dortDeborah Polaski (Soprano), Christian Franz (Tenor), John Tomlinson (Bass), Wolfgang Koch (Baritone), Robert Bork (Baritone), Anna Gabler (Soprano), Petra Lang (Mezzo-soprano), Ha Young Lee (Soprano), Maria Markina (Soprano), Ann-Beth Solvang (Mezzo-soprano), Deborah Humble (Mezzo-soprano), Cristina Damian (Mezzo-soprano), Katja Pieweck (Soprano), Simone YoungLive
Philharmoniker Hamburg, Chor der Hamburgischen Staatsoper, Extrachor der Staatsoper Hamburg2010, Hamburg, Staatsoper Hamburg
Even in the 21st century women's emancipation seems to stop right in front of the doors of many concert halls and opera theaters. While it is normal to see female musicians, leading an orchestra still seems to be a man's job. The truth is that women have conducted orchestras for decades now, but only in recent years they have enjoyed a broader public interest.
One of the internationally well-known female conductors is the Australian Simone Young who was principal conductor of the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra in Norway and at the Opera of Sydney as well as general manager of the Hamburg State Opera and the city's general music director. Back in 1993 she was the first woman to lead a performance at the Vienna State Opera, and 2005 she was the first female conductor on the podium of the Vienna Philharmonic. In our playlist you can listen to the Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra performing Bruckner and Wagner under Young's baton – a repertory often associated with "masculinity".
Women who successfully enter a man's world prefer showing her skills instead of commenting on ridiculous gender stereotypes. Young, her Lithuanian colleague Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla who has been music director of the Birmingham City Symphony Orchestra from 2016, or the American Marin Alsop, who holds the same position in the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the São Paulo State Symphony Orchestra, are widely recognized. Xian Zhang, who moved from China to the United States at the age of 25, became the first woman to conduct the Staatskapelle Dresden at the Semperoper in 2008. One year later the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano Giuseppe Verdi appointed her as its next music director.
The French conductor Emmanuelle Haïm and the Austrian Michi Gaigg are experts in Baroque repertoire. Other colleagues like Susanna Mälkki, principal conductor of the Helsinki Philharmonic in her home country Finland or Konstantia Gourzi, a conductor and composer from Greece, are specialized in contemporary music. And the versatile Canadian soprano Barbara Hannigan surprises the audience when she performs as a singer and a conductor at the same time. Please enjoy our choice!