Belshazzar HWV 61
William Christie, Les Arts Florissants, Rosemary Joshua (Soprano), Iestyn Davies (Alto), Jonathan Fa'afetai Lemalu (Bass), Caitlin Hulcup (Mezzo-soprano), Allan Clayton (Tenor)
2012, Levallois-Perret, Conservatoire Maurice Ravel
- 02:401. Overture
- 04:282. Accompagnato ed Arioso 'Vain fluctuating state of human empire!' (Nitocris)
- 04:373. Aria 'Thou, God most high, and Thou alone' (Nitocris)
- 01:154. Recitative 'The Fate of Babylon, I fear, is nigh.' (Nitocris) - 'O much belov'd' (Nitocris, Daniel)
- 04:595. Air 'Lament not thus, O Queen, in vain!' (Daniel)
- 02:286. Chorus of Babylonians 'Behold by Persia's hero made'
- 01:277. Recitative 'Well may they laugh, from meagre famine safe' (Gobrias) - Accompagnato 'Oh memory' (Gobrias)
- 03:578. Aria 'Opprest with never ceasing grief' (Gobrias)
- 01:549. Aria 'Dry those unavailing tears' (Cyrus)
- 03:5910. 'Be comforted: safe tho' the tyrant seem' (Cyrus) - Accompagnato 'Methought, as on the bank of deep Euphrates' (Cyrus)
- 03:4711. Aria 'Behold the monstrous human beast' (Gobrias)
- 04:0912. Recitative 'Can you then think it strange, if drown'd in wine' (Cyrus) - Aria 'Great God! Who yet but darkly known' (Cyrus)
- 03:2813. Chorus 'All empires upon God depend'
- 04:5414. Arioso 'O sacred oracles of truth!' (Daniel)
- 03:0115. 'Rejoice, my countrymen: the time draws near' (Daniel) - Recitative 'For long ago' (Daniel) - Accompagnato 'Thus saith the Lord to Cyrus his anointed' (Daniel)
- 04:1616. Chorus 'Sing, O ye Heav'ns, for the Lord hath done it'
- 06:4517. Aria 'Let festal joy triumphant reign' (Belshazzar) - Recitative 'For you, my friends, the nobles of my court' (Belshazzar, Nitocris)
- 07:1018. Aria 'The leafy honours of the field' (Nitocris)
- 01:3519. Recitative 'It is the custom; I may say, the law' (Belshazzar, Nitocris)
- 02:3220. Chorus of Jews 'Recall, O king, thy rash command'
- 01:1821. Recitative 'They tell you true; nor can you be to learn' (Nitocris, Belshazzar)
- 04:4522. Duet 'O dearer than my life, forbear' (Nitocris, Belshazzar)
- 06:0823. Chorus of Jews 'By slow degrees the wrath of God to its meridian height ascends'
- 06:331. Chorus 'See, from his post Euphrates flies!' - Semichorus 'Why faithless river dost thou leave' - Semichorus 'Euphrates hath his task fulfil'd' - Chorus 'Of things on earth, proud man must own'
- 06:072. Recitative 'You see, my friends, a path into the city' (Cyrus) - Aria 'Amaz'd to find the foe so near' (Cyrus) - Chorus of Persians 'to arms, to arms, no more delay'
- 02:523. Chorus 'Ye tutelar gods of our empire, look down'
- 02:354. Aria 'Let the deep bowl thy praise confess' (Belshazzar)
- 02:415. Accompagnato and Chorus 'Where is the God of Judah's boasted pow'r?' (Belshazzar) - Recitative 'Call all our wisemen, sorcerers, Chaldeans' (Belshazzar)
- 01:456. Symphony
- 02:127. Recitative 'Ye sages, welcome always to your king' (Belshazzar) - Trio 'Alas! Too hard a task the king imposes' (Wisemen) - Chorus 'O misery! O terror! Hopeless grief!'
- 02:588. 'O king, live for ever!' (Nitocris, Belshazzar) - 'Art thou that Daniel, of the Jewish captives?' (Belshazzar) -'No: to thyself thy trifles be' (Daniel)
- 03:549. Accompagnato 'Yet to obey his dread command' (Daniel) - 'Thou, O King, hast lifted up thyself' (Daniel) - Recitative 'O sentence too severe! and yet too sure!' (Nitocris)
- 06:2210. Aria 'Regard, O son, my flowing tears' (Nitocris)
- 05:1611. Aria 'O God of truth! O faithful guide!' (Cyrus) - Recitative 'You, Gobrias, Lead directly to the palace' (Cyrus)
- 04:5712. Chorus 'O glorious prince! thrice happy they'
- 04:421. Aria 'Alternate hopes and fears distract my mind' (Nitocris) - Recitative 'Fain would I hope. Is there not room to hope?' (Nitocris, Daniel)
- 03:262. Aria 'Can the black Aethiop change his skin?' (Daniel) - Recitative 'My hopes revive, here Arioch comes: by this' (Nitocris, Arioch, Messenger)
- 01:293. Chorus of Jews 'Bel boweth down! Nebo stoopeth!'
- 02:054. Aria 'I thank thee, Sesach, thy sweet pow'r' (Belshazzar) - A Martial Symphony
- 02:235. Aria 'To pow'r immortal my first thanks are due' (Gobrias) - Recitative 'Be it thy care, good Gobrias, to find out' (Cyrus)
- 02:206. Aria 'Destructive war thy limits know' (Cyrus)
- 05:587. Duett 'Great victor, at your feet I bow' (Nitocris, Cyrus) - Recitative 'Say, venerable prophet, is there ought' (Cyrus, Daniel)
- 01:388. Soli and Chorus 'Tell it out among the heathen, that the Lord is King' (Nitocris, Gobrias, Daniel)
- 01:379. Accompagnato 'Yes, I will build thy City, God of Israel' (Cyrus)
- 07:0010. Anthem 'I will magnify Thee, O God my king' (Daniel, Nitocris, Chorus)
Recording appears on:
All recordings of "Belshazzar HWV 61"