Global Concert Hall
You need a free IDAGIO account to purchase a ticket
Courtney’s Stars of Tomorrow: Feel the Spirit Concert I
About this event
Feel the Spirit is a series dedicated to the study, preservation, and performance of the Negro Spiritual.
The first concert of this two-part concert series features baritone Justin Austin and soprano Brittany Robinson. Justin Austin, who has been praised by 'Opera News' as "a gentle actor and elegant musician," and 'The Wall Street Journal' for his "mellifluous baritone," will sing spirituals by H.T. Burleigh and Courtney Carey, including the world premiere of Carey's spiritual arrangements, "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?" and "In Bright Mansions Above". Brittany Robinson, hailed by the 'South Florida Classical' for her "luminous tones" and "lush voice," will sing spirituals by Hall Johnson, Hale Smith, Robert Morris, Tim Amukele and Margaret Bonds.
Courtney's Stars of Tomorrow is an arts conduit committed to promoting and presenting classical musicians of the highest calibre and is a vehicle to feature them in concert, recital, and opera. Additionally, Courtney's Stars of Tomorrow targets a multi-generational, ethnically diverse audience of both classical music lovers and those who have never been exposed to the medium.
This concert is presented as part of the Arts@Future series in the IDAGIO Global Concert Hall, curated by the Hampsong Foundation. Feel the Spirit is made possible with public funds from Creative Engagement and UMEZ and administered by LMCC. Further support is provided by Columbia Community Service.
Brittany Robinson, soprano
Justin Austin, baritone
James Davis, Jr., pianist
Gwen Davis, host
1. Concert – approx. 60 min programme
1. Oh, Didn’t It Rain - arr. by H.T. Burleigh
2. Oh, Rocks Don’t Fall on Me - arr. by H.T. Burleigh
3. My God is So High - arr. by Hall Johnson
4. Jesus Lay Your Head in the Window - arr. by Hale Smith
5. Fix Me, Jesus - arr. by Uzee Brown, Jr.
6. My Lord What a Morning - arr. by H.T. Burleigh
7. Every Time I Feel the Spirit - arr. by Robert Morris
8. I Want Jesus To Walk With Me - traditional spiritual
9. Stand the Storm - arr. by Tim Amukele
10. Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel? - arr. by Courtney Carey *premiere performance
11. Were You There? - arr. H.T. Burleigh
12. In Bright Mansions Above - arr. by Courtney Carey *premiere performance
13. Lord, How Come Me Here? - traditional spiritual
14. De Blin’ Man Stood on de Road an’ Cried - arr. by Courtney Carey
15. He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands - arr. by Margaret Bonds
This concert was recorded at 5th House in Williamsburg, NY.
Stream available to watch until Dec. 31, 2023.
Stay in the Loop
Be the first to know about our upcoming events on IDAGIOCreate Account